Top Stand Mixer in 2017 – Buying Guide
One of the most exciting purchases you can ever make for your kitchen is a stand mixer – and of course, if you do bake a lot it will become your best friend. It is an investment piece, but you need to make sure you have the money, need, and the space for it.
Making the final decision to buy one is great, but choosing the one that is right for your cooking needs can leave you flustered with all the available models online. However, if you choose the best stand mixer, this appliance can last you years of use and give you money well spent.
Many of the top-rated stand mixers have different attachments; you can buy from pasta makers to sausage stuffers. Today we want to share with you the best available options to help you make the right choice for your baking needs.
Top Stand Mixer in 2017:
If you plan to invest in one of our stand mixers, you can look at the following:
- The hand mixer – this handheld device does not include a bowl and only comes with the basics some attachments and a beater. Made especially for whipping cream and some can even knead dough. These appliances are suitable for the occasional baker.
- The Stand Mixer with a bowl-lift – this is for the professional line and you can look at the Hobart line or the domestic line the KitchenAid. All you do is snap the bowl into place on the curved arm, lift it towards the mixing attachment by using a lever and you are reading to start mixing.
- The Stand Mixer with a tilt-head – here you can look at the KitchenAid Artisan, as it is one of the best domestic stand mixers. The top of the appliance tilts up and you attach or remove the attachments and the bowl.
Top Stand Mixer Reviews & PICKS:
With us, you can find a particular model for all your baking needs. We have categorized the models into three different categories; light duty, medium duty, and heavy duty. We have chosen only the best stand mixers when it comes to price.
The Best Stand Mixer for Light Duty Work:
For occasional help in the kitchen when baking cakes, cookies, mixing light dough, or just whipping up some cream the Breville BEM800XL stand mixers made for you. We do not recommend using this stand mixer for more than the occasional bread kneading as using it for medium to heavy duty mixing may not give you the results you want.
These stand mixers made for the average home chef as long as your obsession is not baking bread and it has a unique scraping function. Breville BEM800XL stand mixer has supreme auto load sensing and auto timers that compare well to your more expensive brands such as the KitchenAid.
One of the main features the BEM800XL has compared to other models is the flat beater that scrapes the bowl while mixing. It has an 8.7 x 14.6 x 13.7-inches footprint and smaller than most other models. It gives you internal cord storage and great when you want to pack it away.
It has a die-cast metal construction that is durable and has a 550-watt motor with 12-speed functionality. Included is the auto-shutoff feature that helps prevent overload. It also has a countdown timer up to 10-minutes. It has a 5-quart capacity and on the large side and includes a two-piece pour shield, flat beater, wire whip, scraper beater, and a dough hook.
The head operates at a planetary action as it spins clockwise and the beaters spin counter-clockwise. As with any appliance, it does come with some drawbacks, but still a great choice for light baking.
Breville BEM800XL Unique Features:
- Designed with planetary mixing action,
- Designed with load sensing technology and motor protection,
- Operates with a 12-speed electronic control,
- Has an auto-off function and a 10-minute timer,
- Designed with a lift assist mixer head,
- Choose from 3 different colors,
- The mixer head releases with a tilt-release button,
- Works with a 550 watt motor with a 5-quart mixing bowl,
- Has a LED display with internal cord storage,
- While working the bowl locks securely into place for safety,
- Has a small footprint 8.7 x 14.6 x 13.7-inches, and
- Weighs 21 pounds and you receive a one-year limited warranty.
Pros: affordable, great for light baking, the scraper beater work well, the auto shut off feature is superb
Cons: have been minor complaints, as the auto shut off does not work well when kneading dough
For the best value and light baking the Hamilton Beach 63227 stand mixer is a good mid-range option. It has a 4.5-quarts mixing bowl and on the small side. It handles all recipes for mixing cookie, bread and cake dough. You will only be able to do single batch mixing at once and the bowl locks securely in place.
Hamilton Beach 63227 stand mixer has a metal construction except for the pour shield. It has a 400-watt motor with a 12-speed setting for precision and control when used. The Hamilton Beach stand mixer measures 9 x 14 x 14-inches, weighs 21 pounds and has feet that keep it from moving around.
Check this also: Best Cuisinart Stand Mixer Reviews
You receive included three attachments the paddle, dough hook, and whisk plus the pouring shield. You even receive a 3-year warranty and a great machine if you have a tight budget.
- Has a powerful 400 watt motor for light duty mixing,
- It has complete bowl coverage and you can blend, whip, mix, beat, and cream with it,
- The mixing bowl is 4.5 quarts and made from stainless steel and has a handle,
- You receive a two-piece pouring shield,
- All the attachments are dishwasher safe,
- Works with a 12-speed setting,
- Has non-slip feet,
- The mixer head tilts and you can lift it out of the way,
- The mixing heads unique and orbits around in the bowl as the beaters rotate in a reverse action,
- Measures 9 x 14 x 14-inches and weighs 21 pounds,
- You receive a three-year limited warranty
Pros: affordably priced, choose from 4 colors, powerful enough for light duty baking
Cons: not made for heavy duty baking and a bit on the heavy side to move around
The Best Stand Mixer for Medium Duty Work
KitchenAid professional 600
When it comes to the KitchenAid KSM150PSPT stand mixer, you only see great reviews from clients who have bought it. It has a 325-watt motor and a large 5-quarts mixing bowl to mix light to medium dough kneading. You can choose from 20 different colors to fit in with your kitchen décor.
The design of the mixing bowl is stainless steel and it has a handle for removing the bowl. This is one of the best stand mixers for baking for a family of six or less. Use it to make double batches of cakes and cookies. You receive three attachments the dough hook, flat beater, and a wire whisk. It has a pouring shield for less mess.
The pouring shield helps you to add ingredients easier and prevents a mess. You can buy separate attachments for the KSM150PSPT stand mixer from an ice cream maker to a pasta maker. All the attachments and the bowl is dishwasher safe and you can clean the outer side of the appliance with only a wet cloth.
It has a 10-speed, precision control for slow kneading and whipping egg whites.
- Choose from different color options,
- Spoilt for choice with different attachments, you can buy separately,
- Has a 5-quart stainless steel bowl with handle,
- Works with a 59-point planetary mixing action,
- Designed with a tilt-head and has a 325-watt motor,
- Measures 14.3 x 9.3 x 14-inches and weighs 26 pounds,
- You receive included a dough hook, flat beater, wire whip and pouring shield, and
- Receive a one-year limited warranty
Pros: great customer support, easy to clean, mixes well
Cons: takes up loads of counter space so choose well, a bit expensive but a great stand mixer
BEST HEAVY DUTY STAND MIXER:
The Ankarsrum Original AKM 6220 stand mixer is great for mixing a plentiful amount of bread dough. For the huge family, this is perfect as it makes most foods from scratch. It has a 12-pound dough capacity and you can use it on a daily basis.
Choose from 10 colors to fit in with your kitchen. It has a 7.5-quart mixing bowl made from stainless steel and you can place up to 18 cups of flour in it. It has a quality, direct drive, 600-watt high torque motor and kneads big amounts of dough without it straining the gears.
It has an adjustable speed from 40 to 140 RPM with automatic sensor adjusting the motor torque. You receive the roller for kneading, the dough scraper for folding the dough, dough knife, a balloon and cookie whisk, a 3.5-liter plastic bowl and the seven-liter mixing bowl. As with the KitchenAid, you can buy added attachments.
This is the real deal for heavy-duty workloads and comes with a steep price.
- Designed with stainless steel construction and choose from 10 colors,
- Works with continuous speed control and has timer knobs,
- It mixes and kneads dough,
- Measures 16 x 11 x 14-inches and weighs 19 pounds,
- You receive the dough knife, roller, scraper, hook, double beater, yeast lid, and a 3.5-liter bowl, and
- You receive a 5-year warranty
Pros: makes 1 to 6 loaves of bread dough, powerful purring sound motor, it fits under cabinets, a real workhorse
Cons: expensive, but every cent worth spent
The Hobart N50 stand mixer is a commercial appliance made for heavy-duty workloads. It has a price that will shock you right out of your shoes, but worthwhile spending if you have a bakery or baking is more than just a hobby. The N50 is one of the smaller mixers in the range with an all-metal construction.
The motor is gear-driven and there is no need for waiting to cool down. It has a 1/6 horsepower motor with three different speeds from low to high. It has a lift-bowl style that you lift or lower with a lever. The mixing bowl secures with lift arm pins riveted on the side of the bowl.
You can even use the different KitchenAid attachments with it. It has a 5-quart stainless steel bowl and you receive three standard attachments the cast aluminum flat beater, stainless steel balloon wire whip, and the aluminum dough hook.
The appliance is easy to use with the three settings and on/off switch while it works with a planetary action. You can also buy the bowl guards, scrapers, and the ingredient chute separate. It measures 11 x 17 x 15-inches and weighs 50 pounds – so you cannot go moving around this appliance.
As it is a high-end priced product you do not find many reviews available and those who have bought it, is pleased with the product.
- The Hobart N50 weighs 50 pounds and measures 11 x 17 x 15-inches,
- Has a 348 watt motor with 1/6 horsepower,
- Made for commercial use,
- The mixing bowl is 5-quart and the complete stand mixer is made from metal,
- You receive included a flat beater, wire whip, dough hook and the user manual,
- It has manual bowl lift locks found at the top and bottom,
- Operates with three settings,
- It is NSF and UL listed,
- It also has a number 10 taper attachment hub that fits the KitchenAid attachments as well,
- You receive a one year warranty
Pros: a real powerhouse, the added attachment sockets works well with KitchenAid attachments, mixes almost anything
Cons: not cheap to buy
A Note of Caution:
If you look at the wattage of a stand mixer, you may think that the more wattage it has the most powerful is the mixing. This is not the case as some mixers use the wattage to operate the stand mixer and you find that the power output is less.
Rather look at capacity than the wattage advertised when buying your stand mixer.
Who Needs a Stand Mixer?
Everyone who enjoys baking or has a culinary business should have a good stand mixer as it makes your life a little easier. If you do bake on a regular basis, do not struggle with low-end stand mixers or the hand-me-down ones. By having one of these appliances in your kitchen, it becomes a game changer.
With one of the best stand mixers, you can make different loaves of bread, cookies, cakes, and even bagels. It helps to whip up egg whites and cream making it all light and fluffy in minutes. You can buy a stand mixer with powerful hubs accommodating different accessories to grind meat, churn ice cream, and roll out pasta dough.
Features You Can Look at in a Stand Mixer:
You can look at a couple of features when buying your stand mixer – one of these features is the overload protection feature that is nice. Another is the locking tilt-head characteristic. For durability, you can look at buying an all-metal construction or look at the speed offered with the stand mixer. The majority stand mixers have a 10 – 12-speed or a standard speed of three. Look at the attachments you can buy extra and some come with splash guards that are great to prevent spills.
Are you shopping for your first stand mixer look at our selection of the top 5 Stand Mixer for 2016? Always remember if you do buy a cheaper model you get what you pay for. It is always better to buy an appliance that you can afford. We are sure that you will find a suitable stand mixer in our range made for your daily baking. If you have little space in your kitchen look for one with a small footprint and if you are a baker, who enjoys baking every day it is best to buy yourself a heavy-duty workload machine. All of the above-mentioned stand mixers you can buy extra attachments to turn your appliance into a dream machine giving you loads of options to make pasta dough, make minced meat and make sausage.